Saturday, August 1, 2009

It's 3.36 am and I have been procrastinating since, around, 12 hours ago. Today was supposed to be my "sit my arse down and do some serious study" day but instead it became this totally random mix of events.
I basically just came back from a live jazz bar, my kind of thing. Absolutely. Played beautiful music my Daddy would have appreciated.

On a different note, I have been rather perceptive as of late. Just getting to know people, to having tea break conversations with those that are older and wiser than you can really make a difference on your daily outlooks.

And after these intellectual conversations, it is hard not to feel enlightened. Malaysia is a country filled with beautiful, intelligent and highly capable people but just being in a different country - a Western one to be exact - has made me realise how truly narrow minded we are.

Since we were walking toddlers, we were just brought up to be intellectually inclined - studying and getting good grades was the only way up. We were constantly pressured since, to strive to be the best at studies, to be just as good at sports. And then we grow up, become teenagers and we are at the stage at where we would have to decide for ourselves, what really was our ambition - but how would you know if you were only exposed to so little?

The options in doing degrees abroad are immaculate - it ranges from Art degrees to Science degrees, Law degrees to Acting degrees.

But in reality, we grow up to realize that the only degrees that would be "satisfactory" or "worth your parents money" are the ones that are high in demand for jobs.

Makes sense? Definitely. Parents only want the best for us. But wouldn't it be a bigger loss to know that someone had the potential to do something they were truly passionate about and was given no choice to do so?

See, I come and study here, and I see a whole new range of people. They did not grow up with the constant pressures we did. In fact, it is encouraged for people to speak their minds and do what they feel is best for them.

And you know what? I fucking respect that. Because with that, people become broad thinkers, are open to many options, and they ultimately lead a happy life.

That IS our goal right? Good job = good pay = happy life.

What if that was not the only equation to a happy life?

So, I encourage everyone reading this; as I was told the same - to try new things. It might be the most minuscule little change, but whatever experience you gain from life, I suggest you pounce and ride it like Zorro.


Heck, when I'm 26, I would love to be able to say that I had experienced as much as he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment